Monday, November 01, 2004

 

On the US Election Eve, 2004

Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen

Yes, I've voted early. Yes, I called at least 750 live people and answering machines for Kerry. Yes, I realize that it could all be in vain, but I hope...

This I know, when all the votes are counted, it will neither be as good nor as bad as I'd imagined. There are no unalloyed triumphs or defeats. It will be just another, predictable Sisyphean rock-roll, but I hope...

But this I know more, when the alarm clock sounds on January 21, the fight to subvert the unjust and uncharitable world order will still need our fresh and unflagging efforts. A daunting task, but I hope...

This subversion will engage my every effort as well as that of my wife Kathy, daughter Sarah, daughter-in-law Gwen, son Joel, daughter-in-law Kathryn, every friend I cherish, and every enemy I've accumulated and fail so often to pray for. Subversion is a team effort even when some of the team members aren't even aware they are engaged, but I hope...

Psalm 90:17 "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us,
and prosper for us the work of our hands--
O prosper the work of our hands!"

Frank

















Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?